Didlington Estate, Norfolk - Brief Summary of the Didlington Estate Return to Sale title page
Didlington Church & family memorials
Return to Kelly's 1883
Return to village index
Return to Paddy's Home Page

Didlington Estate, Norfolk

From the Particulars of Sale, Didlington Estate, 1910, pp. 7-13.

PARTICULARS.

About two hours from London, on the Great Eastern Railway, BRANDON STATION is reached, and a pleasant drive through a bracing country, passing through the typical norfolk VILLAGE OF MUNDFORD, and crossing the River Wissey, brings one to the Mundford Entrance to

Didlington Park
GUARDED BY AN

ORNAMENTAL ENTRANCE LODGE.

A Long Drive through a

MAGNIFICENT TIMBERED PARK

OF ABOUT

700 Acres,

bounded by the River Wissey, flanked on both sides by delightful Heath-
land and finely-grown Forest Timber, and intersected by a capital Trout
Stream, terminates at

Didlington Hall

a stately Mansion, beautifully situated, built of white and red brick and
slated, from a design of the Georgian period, the Eastern end being
surmounted by

A LOFTY TOWER.

Access if gained through a fine Portico, supported by four assive stone columns,
beneath which double doors open into

THE ENTRANCE HALL,
measuring 27 ft. 7 in. by 20 ft. 3 in., having oak block floor and fire-place with
marble mantel and dog grate. On the left is

The Morning Room
a cheerful apartment, measuring 32 ft. y 19 ft. 3 in, with two windows over-
looking the front and having a fine open fire-place with marble mantel and
jambs and a dog grate. The room is fitted with glazed book cupboards and
drawers in the recesses. Another door gives access from the Back Passage and
Offices.

THE INNER HALL,
measuring 25ft. 10 in. by 17 ft. 2 in., which has a lofty coved ceiling beautifully
painted, representing the “Four Seasons,” is reached from the Outer Hall
through double glazed doors, and has a fire-place with white marble mantel.
On the right is

The Noble Dining Room,
measuring 44ft by 20 ft. 9 in., with lofty windows on two sides looking North
and West on to the Terrace and Gardens. This rooms has a carved marble
chimney-piece.

The Library
is also reached from the Hall, and measures 39 ft. by 23 ft. 6, the walls being
entirely lined by walnut bookcases; the door is concealed by book-backs,
and a safe is built into the cases. The fine steel and ormolu grate is set in a
white and grey marble mantel, and three lofty windows facing West open on to
the Terrace.

THE
Entertaining Rooms,
occupy the whole of the South Front of the Residence, and
form a

Fine Suite of Apartments
communicating throughout the entire length. At the Western
end is

Return to Sale title page
Didlington Church & family memorials
Return to Kelly's 1883
Return to village index
Return to Paddy's Home Page