extends to about 700 Acres,
and is BEAUTIFULLY TIMBERED. The Oak is of consider-
able dimensions, and has been well protected. There is almost
every species of Forest Timber in the Avenues amd Plantations.
THE FAMOUS LAKES
cover about 60 Acres, and are divided into two parts.
On the Lake opposite the House rare coloured Water-lilies are
planted. THE GREEN GARDEN is planted with bamboos and
other tropical plants.
THE CASTLE CAVE,
is a quaint ornamental flint-built building, with Two Rooms,
Kitchen and Tea Room. At the end of the Terrace beyond
the Mirror Pond is an avenue and several trees, some in clumps,
planted by Royal visitors to Didlington. The
PRIVATE CRICKET GROUND
is kept in perfect condition and has a quaint Thatched Cottage
near. There is a BOWLING GREEN and TENNIS LAWN.
DUCK DECOY IN MOOR WOOD.
one of the few left in England.
THE FALCONER'S LODGE,
The Tower of which was used as a look-out over the training ground.
THE RIVER WISSEY
runs through the Estate for a distance of about 8½ miles. Also
a well-stocked Trout Stream.
The Village Church of "St. Michael and All Angels"
stands in the Park.
© Transcription Copyright E.C. ("Paddy")Apling, April 2006.
Return to Sale title page
Didlington Church & family memorials
Return to Kelly's 1883
Return to village index
Return to Paddy's Home Page