[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]
ACLE is a parish and small town, with a station on the Yarmouth, Acle and Norwich line, 8½ miles west from Yarmouth, a road having been cut through the marshes in 1833, which shortened the distance from the latter place 3½ miles, 126 from London, and 11 east from Norwich in the Southern division of the county, Walsham hundred. Blofield union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich: the navigable Bure flows on the east of the parish and is here crossed by a bridge,called the Acle bridge. The church of St. Edmund was erected in the 14th century: it has chancel, nave and round tower with octagonal top and a peal of 5 bells: there is an old oak screen: a stained east window has been put up in memory of William Last esq. and there is a mural monument to Benjamin Heath Baker, erected by the family: the font, which dates from 1410, must originally have been very handsome. The register dates from the year 1664. The living is a rectory, yearly value £693, with residence and 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Calthorpe and held since 1858 by the Rev. Robert Winter Kennion M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The rectory, which is in the Elizabethan style, is pleasantly situated on a sight elevation facing the Norwich road, and close to the church. There are a few charities. Richard II. granted the town some immunities, now of little value. A market was formerly held here, but it has long been obsolete. The fairs have also been abolished. Weekly cattle sales are held here on mondays and thursdays. Here are remains of Weybridge Priory, founded by Roger Bigod in the time of Edward I. Lord Calthorpe, who is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late H. N. Burroughes, John and Albert Squire, Miss Sophia Edwards and Simon Greenacre are the principal landowners. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley &c. The area is 3,459 acres, rated at £6,809, a large portion of which is marsh land; the population in 1881 was 915.
NOWHERE, formerly extra-parochial, is now annexed to this parish, under the provisions of the Assessment Act of 1862.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.Richard Leedar, postmaster. Letters arrive from Norwich, per mail cart, at 5.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.50 p.m.
INSURANCE AGENT.County Fire, Robert Harvey
Police Station, William Basham, superintendent
National School, Tallis Avis, master
Railway Station, Alfred Allen, station master
Omnibus from Queen's hotel meets all trains & conveys passengers to the adjacent villages & fishing grounds
CARRIER TO NORWICHWilliam Holmes, to 'York tavern,' mon, wed. & sat. at 7 1.m. returning same day
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Acle Methodist Church [Simon Knott]
Acle postmill, towermill and Marsh Farm drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Acle archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Acle village web-site
More on Acle [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Nowhere [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page