Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Alburgh postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Alburgh [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Alburgh

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 226-227.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

ALBURGH is a parish and stragling but pleasant village in the Southern section of the county, Earsham hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The village is seated on a height, 1 mile north from Holmersfield station on the Waveney Valley railway, which is in this parish, 164 miles from London, 3 north-east from Harleston and 5 west from Bungay and the navigable Waveney. The church of All Saints is a structure of flint and stone and mainly in the Perpendicular style, though portions are Early English: it has chancel and nave, separated by a noble chancel arch, a handsome square embattled tower, surmounted by four light pinnacles, and containing 6 bells and a large porch of the fifteenth century, and was in 1876 thoroughly restored, at a cost of 1,340, from plans by R. H. Phipson esq. R.S.A.. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent charge 450 with 5 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of St. John's College, Cambridge, and held since 1871 by the Rev Charles William Lohr B.A., who was presented by the Bishop of Norwich, by reason of lapse. There are some charities, one of 40. whcih is derived from the rent of allotment land and distributed in coals to the poor: there is also a town estate, producing 180 yeary, originally bequeathed to keep the town armour in repair, but now applied towards the payment of the poor rate. The area is 1,515 acres of rich loamy land, the property of several freeholders, the largest owner being Owen Springfield esq. and part belonging to some charities in Norwich. The parish lies in three manors, Holbrook Hall and the Rectory Manor and another. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips; rateable value, 2,463; the poplation in 1881 was 602.

POST OFFICE.—Robert Taylor, receiver/ Letters are received by foot post through Harleston at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. Harleston is also the nearest money order & telegraph office.

National School, Miss Mary Ann Coston, mistress

Homersfield Railway Station, George Rolfe, station master

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Alburgh postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Alburgh [GENUKI-NFK]