1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alby with Thwaite Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Alby Crafts
More on Alby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Alby [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Alby

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 227.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ALBY is a parish and scattered village, 5 miles north-east from Aylsham and the navigable Bure, 7 south from Cromer and 4 north-west from Walsham station, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Inworth [sic Ingworth] and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. Church of St. Ethelbert, in the Early English style, is of cut flint and stone and consists of chancel, nave and square tower containing a clock and 1 bell, The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Earl of Orford and held since 1868 by the Rev. Edwin Pucke B.A. of Hertford College, Oxford, on the presentaton (for this turn) of R. Dunkley esq. of Northamptonshire: the tithes have been commuted for £200 yearly. The Earl of Orford is lord of the manor; the trustees of the late Mr. Wm. Wicks and the trustees of the late W. H. Windham esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 811 acres; rateable value, £1,464; the population in 1881 was 256.


Letters through Norwich, viā Hanworth, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alby with Thwaite Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Alby Crafts
More on Alby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Alby [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page