1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Waterloo postmill. Waterheath postmill and Mill Hill postmil [Jonathan Neville]
Aldeby archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Aldeby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Aldeby

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 227.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © Paul Madgett ]

ALDEBY is a considerable village and parish, with a station one and a half miles north from the village on the Great Eastern railway, situated in the vale of the Waveney, on the borders of Suffolk, 4 miles north-east from Beccles, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon & Clavering union, Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a structure of flint with stone dressings in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, with aisle, nave, north transept, with tower between chancel and nave, containing 4 bells. There is a fine specimen of a Norman doorway at the west end, an early font in good preservation, a piscina and two sedilia: the old windows have been replaced by new and the church re-seated. The register dates from the year 1541. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators and patrons; the rectorial tithes having been commuted for £735 yearly. The living is a vicarage, valued at £300, with two acres of glebe, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Jesse Gillett, of St. Bees. The poor's land of 24 acres is let on average for £60 a year, which is distributed in coals. A small priory was founded here in the reign of Henry I. by Agnes, the wife of Robert de Kia, for Black monks, the remains of which now form part of the Priory Farm premises. The Hall Farm, comprising 370 acres, belongs to the trustees of Ampton School, Suffolk, who are also lords of the manor; these and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the Priory manor, and King's College, Cambridge, Messrs. J. Maplestone, George Dunbar, Stephen S. Bately, W. Blyth and Son, Mrs. M. A. Wright and A. Carman, are chief landowners. The soil is loam and sand; subsoil, sand and clay and in some parts chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, hay and roots. The area is 3,050 acres, rateable value, £4,412; the population in 1881 was 642.

_____

POST OFFICE.- William Lee, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Beccles at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 3.45 p.m. Beccles is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

This parish is a contributory to the Wheatacre United District School Board, sending 2 members.

National School, capable of holding 100 children; the average attendance is about 70; Miss Hannah Tyrrell, mistress.

Railway Station, George Wright, station master.

© Transcribed by Paul Madgett , January 1999, on behalf of E.C. ("Paddy") Apling; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Waterloo postmill. Waterheath postmill and Mill Hill postmil [Jonathan Neville]
Aldeby archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Aldeby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page