1891 Census Names Index
Clavering hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mill Hill postmill, Waterloo postmill and Waterheath postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Aldeby archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Aldeby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Aldeby

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 339-340

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

ALDEBY, a parish in the vale of the Waveney, three miles N.E. of Beccles, contains 117 scattered houses, 554 inhabitants, and 3,040 acres of land, belonging to many proprietors, the copyholds of which pay small certain fines. The trustees of Ampton school, Suffolk, are lords of the manor, and own the Hall farm, 374a. In the reign of Henry I., a small priory for black monks was founded here ; some remains of it are still to be seen. At the dissolution of religious houses it was granted to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are still appropriators of the tithes, which are leased to the Carpenter family. The church is a small structure dedicated to St. Mary, and the benefice is a perpetual curacy returned in 1831, at £64. The Rev. Thos. Scott Huxley, B.A., is the incumbent. In the year 1310, the prior of Norwich had permission of Wm. Roceline, to dig marl, for the purpose of improving his lands in the great common of Aldeby. This circumstance tends to prove, that what has been magnified into a new discovery, is often no more than a renewal of an old practice, long neglected. Marling of lands is stated by some authors on agriculture, to have been first introduced in 1748. The Poor's Allotment, 23a. awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is let for £47 a year. A National School was built in 1840. A line of railway is now in progress from Hailsworth by way of Beccles, which intersects this parish, and joins the Eastern Counties line at Haddiscoe. It is expected that a station will be built here.

Directory :

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
Clavering hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mill Hill postmill, Waterloo postmill and Waterheath postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Aldeby archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Aldeby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page