1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845. 1864. and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Alderford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Alderford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Alderford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.227-8.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ALDERFORD is a parish and village, 8 miles north-west from Norwich. 3 south from Reepham station and 6 south-west from Aylsham station. in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Eynsford, St. Faith's union, Aylsham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist is a small old flint building, with chancel, nave and south porch, and square tower with 1 bell. The register dates fromt he year 1713. The living is a rectory, woth that of Attlebridge annexed. gross yearly value in tithe rent chanreg 209 with 13 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1873 by the Rev. William Louis Buckley M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Viscount Canterbury is the chief landowner and lord of the manor. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The cheif crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 432 acres; rateable value 585; the population in 1881 was 37/

The POST OFFICE for this place is at the adjoining village of Swannington, which see

CARRIER TO NORWICH.--George Munford passes through from Reepham, wed. & sat

CONVEYANCE.--Omnibus on saturday passes through from Reepham to Norwich

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; minor corrections and links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845. 1864. and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Alderford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Alderford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page