ALPINGTON is a parish and village 6 miles south-east from Norwich and 4½ south-east from Trowse station, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon & Clavering union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church has disappeared for centuries. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory consolidated with that of Yelverton from an early time, joint value tithe rent charge £408 with 15 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1865 by the Rev. Charles Robert Ferguson-Davie M.A. of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, rural dean, who resides at Yelverton rectory. The fuel allotment consists of 9A. 3R. E. W. Trafford esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 523 acres; rateable value, £1,050; the population in 1881 was 162.
Parish School, Miss E. Andrews, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alpington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Alpington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page