1891 Census index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Will of Joseph Salman, 1775
Antingham (Lower) Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Antingham (Upper) Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Antingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Antingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Antingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 228.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ANTINGHAM is a parish and village 2½miles north-west from North Walsham, 7 from Aylsham, 7 south from Cromer and 15 from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The source of the river An is in this parish, and also the termination of the Dilham and North Walsham canal. Formerly there were two chuches in this parish, dedicated respectively to St. Mary and St. Margaret; the latter has long been in ruins, the tower and part of the nave only remaining, which are overgrown with ivy: legends say that they were built by two sisters, after whom they were named: the rectory of St. Margaret is annexed to the vicarage of North Walsham. St. Mary's church is an ancient structure of flint, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, anve, square embattled tower with 1 bell, south porch, and the whole supported by heavy buttresses: it was entirely restored and provided with oak sittings in 1865; a memorial window to Mrs. Dolphin was placed here by her relatives, the subjects being "Martha" and the "Two Marys," one on either side. The register dates from the year 1676. The living of St. Mary is a rectory, with Thorpe Market and one moiety of Bradfield annexed, joint yearly value £415, with 43 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of Lord Suffield and held since 1880 by the Rev. John Dolphin B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, and rural deal of Repps. Lord Suffield is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light sand; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans. The area is 1,509 acres; rateable value, £2,138; the population in 1881 was 236.


Letters through Norwich, viā North Walsham. which is the nearest money order & telegraph office

A Board School has been erected in this parish ear to Gunton ststion, for the parishes of Antingham, South Repps, Bradfield, Thorpe Market & Gunton. William Elliot Amies, master; Miss Inez Trollope, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; minor spelling correction and links updated January 2011.

1891 Census index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Will of Joseph Salman, 1775
Antingham (Lower) Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Antingham (Upper) Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Antingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Antingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page