1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bixley (& Arminghall) Archeology [Norfol Heritage Explorer]
More on Arminghall [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Arminghall

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.228-229.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ARMINGHALL is a parish 2½ miles south-east from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a rubble building, chiefly in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and square tower with 1 bell: in 1876 the building was restored at a cost of £920, The register dates from the year 1570. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £80; it was certificated at £20, and valued in 1831 at £66, but has been since augmented with £600 Royal Bounty, to which £38 yearly was added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1879: it is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1883 by the Rev. Edmund Belmopan B.A. of Queens' College, Cambridge, who resides at Norwich. An old house near the church has the following inscription:—"Pray for the soul of Master William Ely, who caused this to be made into an hospital in the year 1487." Formerly a chapel stood at Belhawe, but it has long since been demolished. The poor have a rent-charge of £2 from F. Horne; also an allotment of 2A. 1R. 25P. of land, awarded at the enclosure. The trustees of the late F. W. Primrose are the owners of the Hall, now converted into a farmhouse: it has a curious sculptured porch, said to have built by Nicholas Herne. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are lords of the manor, impropriators of the tithes, and principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and barley The area of the parish is 638 acres, exclusive of 22 acres of wood and plantation; rateable vale, £1,392; the population in 1881 was 105.

_______

Letters through Norwich, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
This place is included in the United School Board district of Poringland, formed in 1874: the school is at Framingham Earl.

© Copyright E. C. ("Paddy") Apling, September, 2006; links updated November 2010.

Paddy's Home Page
Villages index
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bixley (& Arminghall) Archeology [Norfol Heritage Explorer]
More on Arminghall [GENUKI-NFK]