1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ashill postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Ashill Village pages
Ashill church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Ashill archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ashill [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Ashill

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 229.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

ASHILL is a parish and village, situated on the road from Swaffham to Watton, 3 miles north-west from Watton station, and 6 south-east from Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Wayland, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Breckles, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas is a Gothic stone building, consisting of chancel, nave and south aisle, with a low square tower, containing a fine peal of 6 bells: in 1867 it was partially restored, with a new roof to the aisle and a casing of oak to the roof of the nave at the sole cost of the rector: an organ has been erected. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is rectory, tithes commuted at £937, with 47 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of and held since 1813 by the Rev. Bartholomew Edwards M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge D.L.; the Rev. Edward Colls Gathercole M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, is curate. The poor have 43 acres of common land, and 30 acres, let at £21 yearly, for coals; and the church land, 3A. 10P. let for £2 5s. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor of Panworth Hall, and W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P. of the manor of Uphall. The principal landowners are the Earl of Leicester, E. A. Applewhaite esq. Mrs. Oldfield, Mr. Horsley and Mr. Miller. The soil is a light loam and clay, with subsoil of clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, with some land in pasture. The area is 2,991 acres; rateable value £5,327; and the population in 1881 was 656.

_____

POST OFFICE.—Henry Grimmer, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Thetford, viâ Watton, arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Watton is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

In 1880 a reading room was opened, which is well supplied with newspapers & periodicals.

The National & Infant schools were built & supported by the rector.
      National, Jsph. Alcock, master; Mrs. Sarah Coker, mistress.
      Infants', Miss Emily Alcock, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ashill postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Ashill Village pages
Ashill church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Ashill archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ashill [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page