ASHWELLTHORPE is a village and parish, with station on the Wymondham and Forncett branch of the Great Eastern railwau, and is situated 3½ miles south-east from Wymondham, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, county court district of Wymondham, rural deanery of Depwade and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Catherine, is and old flint building in the Early English style, having chancel, nave, with side chapel, adjoining the chancel, and a square tower containing 5 bells and a porch; there are piscinę in the chancel, nave and chapel: a tomb bears the effigies of Sir Edmund de Thorpe knt, and Joan his wife, envoy from Henry V. to the Duke of Burgundy. The register dates from the year 1711. The living is a rectory, with that of Wreningham annexed, jont yeasrly value £700, in the gift of Baronss Berneers, and held since 1853 by the Rev. Arthur Wilson Upcher M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Wreningham; the Rev. George Richard Taylor M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, is resident curate. Ashwellthorpe Hall, the property of Baroness Berners, is a handsome Elizabethan building, now occupied by Walter Scott esq. In front of the farm house occupied by Mr. Henry A. Utting, is a lake, supplied by a spring of beautifully clear water. The Baroness Berneers, who is lady of the manor, Mr. Charles Browne, Mr. Reginald Steward and Mr. William Dewing, are the principal landowners. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The area is 979 acres; reateable value, £1,734; the population in 1881 was 371.
A school, established in 1841, is supported by Sir Henry Thomas Tyrwitt bart. the rector & a voluntary rate; Miss Helen Scholding, mistress
Railway Station, James Hoare, station master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2011.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ashwellthorpe archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ashwellthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]