Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Aslacton Tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Aslacton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Aslacton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Aslacton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 230.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ASLACTON is a village and parish 2 miles north-west from Tivetshall station on the Wymondham and 2 from Forncett station on the Great Eastern railwau, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, county court district of Wymondham, rural deanery of Depwade and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael, is an ancient stone and flint edifice, principally Norman, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, a porch wth ornamental entrance, and round Saxon tower containing 5 bells: in the chancel is a three-light stained window and a lancet window in the north side: the tower and walls are supposed to be more than 1.000 years old, having been built in 880. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 32, in the gift of the Rev. T. G. Curtler held since 1882 by the Rev. Joseph Bartholomew Davery Hopgood M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1834. Le Neve's charity, of 1 yearly, is for bread; and there is an allotment of 17 acres, let for 24 yearly. Sir Robert J. Buxton bart. M.P., is lord of the manor; Mrs. Copeman is the principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,164 acres; reateable value, 1,607; the population in 1881 was 295.



POST OFFICE.—Christopher Hall, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Long Stratton at 8 a.m. & dispatched at 5 p.m. Long Stratton is the nearest money order & telegraph offcie

ASchool Board of 5 members was formed in 1875, with Bunwell contributory with 2 members; J. Furness, Long Stratton, clerk to the Board

Board Schhol formd out of the old National school, built 1850 for 90 chilfdren, average attendance 70; Miss Chapman, mistress

Hart Charles, Aslacton grange
Hopgood Rev. Joseph B. Davey M.A. [vicar]
          COMMERCIAL.
Arnold John (Mrs.), farmer
Banham Moses, farmer
Burroughes Barnaby, miller
Coleman John, shopkeeper
Falgate William, farmer
Finch Chjristopher, farmer
Hall Christopher, boarding school
Howlett Herbert, farmer
Jolly William, thatcher
Manser Robert, shoe maker & shopkpr
Moore George , farmer
Moore William, farmer Prime John Howard, blacksmith
Rayner Alfred, Bell
Sewell Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Smith Charles, farmer
Smith James, farmer
Smith Matthias, shopkeeper
Tennant John. farmer, Roolry far.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May, 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Aslacton Tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Aslacton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Aslacton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]