ASLACTON, a parish 4½ miles S. by W. of Long Stratton, and 13 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, contains 82 houses, 412 souls, and 1,157a. 1r. 24p. of land, the property of several owners ; but S. H. L N. Gilman, Esq., is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the church ; a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £58, in the incumbency of the Rev. Chas. Carver, of Horning. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a round tower and five bells. The Grange is tithe-free, and the tithes of the parish have been commuted for £340. The poor have 20s. a year left by Lawrence Le Neve, out of land, the property of S. H. L. N. Gilman, Esq. The Fuel allotment, 17a. 3r. 36p. awarded at the enclosure in 1816, is let for £20 a year. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, and a national school was erected in 1850, at a cost of £216, raised by subscriptions, of which £134 was given by an unknown donor ; about 30 children attend.
Harriet Avis, school mistress ;
Edward Alborough, butcher ;
John Buxton, wheelwright ;
Elijah Coleman, blacksmith ;
Zaph. Cooper, shoemaker ;
Chas. B. Coulson, tailor and shop keeper ;
Geo. Craske, relieving officer and registar of births and deaths ;
Mrs. Susannah Craske, ladies' boarding school ;
Jph. Fisher, plumber ;
Benjamin Gibson, Aslacton Tower mill [Jonathann Neville]">corn miller ;
Chas. Le Grys, vict. Bull ;
Jph. Moss, paramatta manufacturer ;
Robt. Trudgill, tailor, draper, and grocer.
Wm. Lester, Grange,
Wm. Long, and
John Warton, Manor House.