Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Attleborough postmill, Hargham road postmill, Norwich road postmill, Queens road postmill. Town street postmill and Wrogland postmill;
       Dodds Lane towermill, New Road towermill, and Station towermill and Great Mill (smockmill) [Jonathan Neville]
Attleborough Town Council
Attleborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Attleborough [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Goeff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Attleborough

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.230-2.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

ATTLEBOROUGH is a small market town, parish, head of a county court district, and station on the Great Eastern railway, 100 miles from London, 15 south-west from Norwich, 5½ south-west from Wymondham, and 14 north-east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Wayland Union, hundred of Shropham, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary, a noble stone building, in the Norman and Early English styles, was once a cruciform structure, and possessed a spire, which fell some years back, and destroyed the chancel, which has never been rebuilt: it consists at present of nave, aisles, two chapels and a porch, with a tower at the east end, which has an embattled parapet of red brick, and contains 6 bells and a clock: the interior was repaired and newly seated in 1844: there is a fine organ, also a stained window; and there are several handsome monuments and tablets to the families of the Ratcliffes, Mortimers, and Chanticlers. The register dates from the year 1552. The living is a rectory, yearly value £1,504 tithe rent charge, with 17 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of Sir William Bowyer-Smijth bart. and held since 1866 by the Rev. William Chartres Safford M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. Here are places of worship for the Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and Baptists, and a Friends' meeting-house. The Wesleyan chapel, in the Station road, was opened in 1872: it is of red brick with stone dressings, and will seat about 400 person: the total cost was about £1,000. The charities consist of Nerford's, for educating six poor children, value about £20, now given as prizes at the Board School, and £2 12s. a year given to six poor widows in bread every sunday: Sir F. Bickley's, the proceeds of six acres of land, and Andrew Reeder's the proceeds of 2A. 3R. 23P. given to the poor of the parish; and the rent of the fuel allotment, comprising 57A. 2R. given in money; there are also 11A 3R. 14P. left for beautifying the church, and the rent of 1A. 2R. 32P. for ringing the morning and evening bells. A corn market with hall and reading room has been erected by a limited liability company, at a cost of £1,000, for the farmers who attend Attleborough market: it is a white brick building, and was opened in August, 1863; there is a library of about 300 volumes in connection with the reading room. The market is on thursday; and fairs are occasionally held here. There is a banking agency. The principal landowners are Sir W. Bowyer-Smijth bart. who is lord of the manor, Sir T. Beevor bart. Arthur Temple Cockell, esq. Thomas Q. Daniel esq. and George Shepherd esq. The soil I clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are barley and wheat. The area is 5,260 acres; rateable value £13,471; the population in 1881 was 2,244.

_____

POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, & Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.— William Barnard Page, postmaster.

INCOMING MAILS.

Delivery begins

London & places through & from London, Norwich, Yarmouth &c. Diss. Scole &c....................................

7.0 a.m.

Norwich, London & places through & Thetford

1.0 p.m.
OUTGOING MAILS

London, Thetford & places through London

8.50 a.m.

Norwich & all parts

11.55 p.m.

London & all parts

10.0 p.m.

Parcels Post, deliveries commence 9 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; despatched at 12.0 noon, 7.50 p.m. & 9.0 p.m.

Telegraph business begins on week days from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; on Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Inland revenue licenses issued on week days from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. & on Saturday till 8 p.m. Ordinary business is transacted on week days from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; on Sunday the office is open from 7 till 10 a.m. only

INSURANCE AGENTS:

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:—

PUBLIC OFFICERS:—

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services —

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871; M. W. H. L. Brooke, clerk to the board; Robert Copling, attendance officer
Board School, George Welton, master
Railway Station, Arthur Taylor, station master
CARRIERS TO NORWICH:— John Capes, saturday; Robert Whant, wednesday & saturday

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, August 2000; links updated February 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Attleborough postmill, Hargham road postmill, Norwich road postmill, Queens road postmill. Town street postmill and Wrogland postmill;
       Dodds Lane towermill, New Road towermill, and Station towermill and Great Mill (smockmill) [Jonathan Neville]
Attleborough Town Council
Attleborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Attleborough [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Goeff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]