Aylmerton, Norfolk - Kelly's 1883 Directory 1891 Census Names Index
Wills of John FOX, 1766 and William Youngman, 1836
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Inns in Aylmerton [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Aylmerton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Council
More on Aylmerton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Aylmerton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 232-233.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

AYLMERTON is a parish, about 2¾ miles west-south-west from Cromer and 10 from North Walsham, and on the road from Holt to Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist is a flint building in the Perpendicular style, having chancel, nave, an embattled round tower (dating as early as the thirteenth century), containing 1 bell, and porch: there is a handsome old oak rood-screen and chancel rail, with poppy heads, of the age of the church: the building was partially restored in 1865, and fully restored by the present rector in 1876: there are three memorial windows with handsome stonework, and the windows throughout the church are of cathedral tinted glass. The register dates from the year 1696.. The living is discharged rectory, with that of Runton annexed, joint yearly value £450, with residence and 62 acres of glebe, viz. 42 in Aylmerton and 20 in Runton, in the gift of R. W. Ketton esq. and held since 1872 by the Rev. Wiliam Woodward Mills M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. The views of the ocean from the high ground are exceedingly fine, and the surrounding scenery picturesque. R. W. Ketton esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light loam; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,679 acres; rateable value, £1835; and the population in 1881 was 273.

____

POST OFFICE.—John Firmage, receiver. Letters are received through Norwich; arrive at 8.45 a.m.; dispatched at 2,45 p.m. Cromer is the nearest money order & telegraph office: & telegraph office at the Railway station.

SCHOOLS:—
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874 for the united district of Aylmerton, Felbrigg, Melton & Lusted; Rev. W. W. Mills M.A. chairman & hon. clerk to the Board
Board School, built in 1875 at a cost of £1,275 for 108 children, average attendance 78; E. G. Harrison, master


© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2006; links updated February 2012.

1891 Census Names Index
Wills of John FOX, 1766 and William Youngman, 1836
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Inns in Aylmerton [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Aylmerton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Council
More on Aylmerton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page