1891 Census Names Index
Aylsham Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Aylsham Wills & Other Documents
Catholic Church
Aylsham steam mill; Aylsham Navigation; Aylsham Watermill; Butlands Lane towermill; and Cawston lane towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Aylsham Navigation [Inland Waterways Association]
Aylsham Navigation Project
Aylsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Aylsham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Aylsham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.233-235.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

AYLSHAM is a parish, market town, head of a county court district, and polling-place for the Northern division of the county, having a station on the Great Eastern railway, and another on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 125½ miles from London, 12 north from Norwich and 7 west from North Walsham; the town is on the banks of the river Bure, which is navigable hence to Yarmouth, in South Erpingham hundred, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is of flint, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and was built by John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, the court of whose duchy was once held in this town: it consists of chancel, nave and aisles, tower with steeple, containing 10 bells, clock, and has an organ; the font is enriched with bas-reliefs of the four emblems of the Evangelists, the instruments of the Passion, and the arms of Gaunt, with other armorial insignia: the screens were painted with saints, martyrs and confessors in 1507, principally at the cost of Thomas Wymer, who, on his monument is represented in a winding-sheet : here is a monument to Richard Howard, sheriff of Norwich, who, in 1488, built the church porch : the east window, the tracery of which has been restored, is decorated with stained glass, representing the four most favoured disciples of our Blessed Lord, with various devices, and armorial bearings of the late Earl of Buckingham and heir of Blickling, the bishop of Norwich, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and Canterbury : a stained side window is to the memory of eight former vicars : another contains some beautiful specimens of old glass, inserted at the expense of the Rev. E. T. Yates, a former vicar, containing the armorial bearings of his family, and of the lay impropriator of the parish, S. Pitman, esq. together with those of the Dowager lady Suffield : in a recess in the churchyard, in a piece of lawn enclosed with iron rails, planted with roses heartsease and other flowers, is the grave of Humphrey Repton, the celebrated landscape gardener, who died March 24th, 1818. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, yearly value £685, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury and held since 1867 by the Rev. Robert Hake M.A. Precenter of Canterbury. The Dean and Chapter of Canterbury hold the great tithes, which are leased to S. Pitman, esq. There is a Baptist chapel in White Hart street, a Primitive Methodist in Hungate; a Wesleyan in White Hart street, and a Reformed Wesleyan in Millgate street. A Cemetery of two acres was formed in 1855 at a cost of £600; it is under the control of a Burial Board of nine members. The Town Hall in the Market place, is a red brick building with reading-room and literary institute attached. Fairs are held yearly on March 23rd and last Tuesday in September, and a hiring for servants on the first Tuesday in October. A Savings bank was established in 1818; here is also a Literary Institution, H. G. Wright, secretary. A short distance from the town is a mineral spring. Cressey's charity of £34 yearly is for clothing. There are four manors, belonging severally to Constance Marchioness of Lothian, the Vicar, Thomas Copeman and W. S. Calvert, esqrs. The landowners are Constance Marchioness of Lothian, R. J. W. Purdy esq. Charles Louis Buxton, esq. J.P. E. J. C. Stracey esq. Mrs. Elizabeth Clover, the trustees of the Rev. James Bulwer, the trustees of the late W. W. Wickes esq. B. B. Sapwell esq. Rev. R. Rackham, Thomas Henry Case esq. and a few smaller owners. The area is 4,308 acres; rateable value, £11,612; in 1881 the population of the parish was 2,674.

_____

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & insurance Office.—Charles Clements, postmaster. Letters through Norwich are delivered at 7.30 a.m. & 3 p.m.; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. & 8 p.m. Wall Letter Box, Millgate, cleared 4.50 p.m. weekdays only.

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR SOUTH ERPINGHAM PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

INSURANCE AGENTS:— PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:—

AYLSHAM UNION.

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.

Clerk, H. J. Gidney, Aylsham
Medical Officer of Health, Frederick Bateman M.D., J.P., Norwich
Inspector of Nuisances, Edward John Bird, Cawston PUBLIC OFFICERS:—

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with Times of Service. SCHOOLS:— RAILWAY STATIONS:— CONVEYANCE TO:— CARRIERS TO:— © Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2006; links updated November 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Aylsham Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Aylsham Wills & Other Documents
Catholic Church
Aylsham steam mill; Aylsham Navigation; Aylsham Watermill; Butlands Lane towermill; and Cawston lane towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Aylsham Navigation [Inland Waterways Association]
Aylsham Navigation Project
Aylsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Aylsham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page