1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
The church of St. Mary & St. Felix (Felix chapel) [Simon Knott]
Babingley postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Sandringham (including Babingley [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Babingley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Babingley

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 235-236.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BABINGLEY is a parish, situated on the Babingley river, 5½ miles north-north-east from Lynn station, and 2 miles east from Wolferton station on the Lynn and Hunstanton railway, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Felix is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, small south aisle, porch and square western tower: the chancel is in ruins, and contains the remains of a Norman sedile, and the walls, which are still standing, covered with ivy, are supposed to occupy the site of where the first Christian church was erected in East Anglia, by St.. Felix, the Burgundian, on his landing here about A.D. 600. The registers date from the year 1662, but they are missing between 1772 and 1812. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Sandringham and West Newton and the vicarage of Appleton, joint gross yearly value £403, in the gift of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, ad held since 1878 by the Rev. Frederick Alfred John Hervey M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, domestic chaplain to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales and honorary chaplain in ordinary to the Queen, who resides at Sandringham. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales owns the whole of the land, and is lord of the manor. The soil is partly sand; the parts under cultivation are some light and peaty, and some alluvial. The land is partly in pasture and partly copped on the four-course system. The area is 850 acres; rateable value, £994; the population in 1881 was 58,

Letters received through Lynn, viā Castle Rising. Dersingham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

The children attend the school at West Newton, about 2 miles distant


© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2006; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
The church of St. Mary & St. Felix (Felix chapel) [Simon Knott]
Babingley postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Sandringham (including Babingley [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Babingley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page