1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Baconsthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Baconsthorpe Castle [norfolkcoast.co.uk] and [English Heritage]
Baconsthorpe archeology and Baconsthorpe Castle [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
History of Baconsthorpe Castle. [wikipedia.org]
More on Baconsthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Baconsthorpe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 227.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BACONSTHORPE is a parish, about 3 miles east-south-east from Holt station, and 7 south-west from Cromer. in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is chiefly in the Perpendicular style, and is a large handsome building, with chancel, nave and aisles and a square tower containing 1 bell: it was partly destroyed by fire in 1720, but repaired in 1779, and again thoroughly restored at a cost of 1,300, under the supervision of the present rector, in the year 1869: it contains an organ, an interesting monument to the Heydon family, and several fine stained windows. The register dates from the year 1692, the old rectory house and registers having been burnt just before that date. The living is a rectory (the tithes having been commuted for a rent-charge of 340, and there are 33 acres of glebe, with a good rectory-house), in the gift of John Thomas Mott esq. and held since 1882 by the Rev. Seymour Richard Coxe M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. 5 is distributed among the poor yearly on Easter Monday, the bequest of Thomas Newman in 1698. J. T. Mott esq. who is lord of the manor, John Henry Gurney esq. and Constance Marchioness of Lothian are the principal landowners. The soil is chiefly light; subsoi, marl and sand. The chief corps are wheat, turnips, baley and grass. The area is 1,360 acres; rateable value, 2,012; and the population in 1881 was 292.


POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Martha Baybut, receiver. Letters arrive from Dereham by messenger from Holt at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 3.50 p.m. Holt is the nearest money order & telegraph office. No post on sundays

A National School, for children of this & the adjoining parish of Hempstead, is chiefly supported by subscription; John Moorhouse, master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; minor corections December 2009; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Baconsthorpe Castle [norfolkcoast.co.uk] and [English Heritage]
Baconsthorpe archeology and Baconsthorpe Castle [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
History of Baconsthorpe Castle. [wikipedia.org]
More on Baconsthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page