BAGTHORPE is a parish and village, 9 miles west-by-north from Fakenham, 8 south-west from Burnham Market, 6 south-east from Docking station and 16 north-east-by-north from Lynn in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Heacham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary, rebuilt about 1856, is a small structure of flint, with stone dressings, in the Pointed style, consisting of chancel, nave, small northern porch and vestry: there is a turret over the chancel arch containing 2 bells: the east window is stained, the seats all open and the font very large and ancient, The register dates from the year 1549. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £140 yearly with 10 acres of glebe, in the gift of Henry J. D. Dugmore esq. and held since 1875 by the Rev. Edward Martin Pitt M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, who resides at Hunstanton; the Rev. James Tarbuck is curate in charge. There is a charity of about £100 invested in £3 per cent. Consols, the interest of which is given in money. Bagthorpe Hall, which has been enlarged and restored, is a fine red brick mansion, standing in well-wooded grounds and is the seat of Henry John Dennis Dugmore esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, principally gravel. The crops are on the four-course rotation. The area is 763 acres; rateable value £788 8s.; the population in 1881 was 83.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bagthorpe with Barmer Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bagthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page