BALE, or Bailthley, 5 miles W. by S. of Holt, comprises into its parish 59 houses, 234 souls, and 1,041 acres of land, all arable, except 200a. of wood and pasture. Sir W. Jones, Bart., owns part of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Gunthorpe, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. J. H. Sparke. The tithes of Bale were commuted in 1839, for £311 10s., and there are 21a. 39p. of glebe. Chpr. Ringer, in 1678, left £16 10s., which was laid out in land. It was exchanged at the enclosure in 1811, for 4a. 1r. 22p., now let for £6 5s. a year. There are 2a. of Church Land.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gunthorpe (& Bale) Archdeology [Norfolk History Explorer]
Bale postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Our Daily Bread (Introduction to the churches of Bale, Bayfield, Field Dalling, Glandford, Holt and Saxlingham [Simon Knott]
More on Bale [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page