BANHAM is a picturesque village and parish situated 6 miles north-west from Diss station, 6 east-by-north from Harling Road station, and 6 south from Attleborough, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a beautiful flint structure, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and square tower (containing 6 bells) with handsome leaden spire: on the south side is a fine Gothic porch: there are two very handsome stained glass windows in the chancel to the wife and son of the present rector, erected in 1877: the interior was restored in 1865 and re-seated with open benches, the expense being defrayed by the rector: the carved work of the pulpit (which is of oak) and seats are considered unusually beautiful: the east window and a mortuary window in the south aisle to the Gall family, are executed in Powell's patent glass: the chancel contains a very old wooden effigy of Sir Hugh Bardolph, the reputed founder of this church; there is also a small brass in the floor of the nave in memory of Dame Elizabeth Wastneys. The register dates from the year 1558, and is in excellent preservation. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £1,261 with 35 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1856 by the Rev. John George Fardell MA of Christ's College, Cambridge. About half a mile west of the town is 1½ acres of land given by the rector as an addition to the churchyard; it has a mortuary chapel. Here are a Wesleyan and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities are the "town lands," about 3 acres in Banham Heath, producing £7 yearly, fuel allotment producing £25 6s. yearly; an estate in Kenninghall Park common containing 90 acres with farm buildings, producing £74 yearly; 10s. yearly a charge on a piece of land called Bidwell's gift; £1 yearly a charge on a piece of land called Gawdy's donation: the above amounts are given yearly to the poor of the parish in coals and calico: the church lands produce £56 yearly, they are for the repair &c. of the church. About three-quarters of a mile west of the town are manufactories of bricks, tiles and chimney-pots, the clay obtained in this locality being eminently adapted for the purpose. Cider is manufactured here by Messrs. Gaymer and Son, who annually store very large quantities: their establishment is of nearly two centuries' standing. John Odin Howard Taylor esq. who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Albermarle, Richard Bird, Isaac F. Parkinton, Thomas Leonard Palmer and Henry John Palmer esqs. Mrs.Bailey and Jeremiah J. Colman esq. M.P.are the principal landowners. The land is of mixed soil; subsoil, gravel, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,963 acres; rateable value, £5,879; the population in 1881 was 1,142.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.Thomas Barnard, receiver.. Letters received from Attleborough at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 7.10 p.m., except sundays, then dispatched at 10.30 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at New Buckenham.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875: L. Lane, Kenninghall, clerk to the Board
Board School, built in 1878, Thomas Pawson, master
CARRIER TO NORWICH. William Vout, mon. & thurs
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 and Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Banham post-mill, (composite) windmill and Banham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Banham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Banham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page