1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Banningham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Banningham with Colby Archeology [English Heritage Explorer]
More on Banningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Banningham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 237-8.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

BANNINGHAM is a parish and scattered village, 2 miles north-east from Aylsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 2 miles from Aylsham Town station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and 5 west from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Botolph is an old flint building in the Perpendicular style, having chancel, nave and square tower, which now contains only 1 bell, the other two having been sold in 1808 to defray the expense of rebuilding the nave: the church has been re-seated at the expense of George Copeman esq,: the windows contain the remains of some ancienet specimens of stained glass, The register dates from the year 1709. The living is a rectory, 383 tithe rent charge, with 17 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Rev. Robert Cleary and held since 1874 by the Rev. Henry Edwards of St. Bees. The poor have 5 yearly, from land left by the Rev. S. Wanley, and 3 roods calls the Labourer's pightle. Here is a brick and tile manufactory. The trustees of the late W. Wyndham esq. are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are George Copeman, Samuel Cubitt, Robert Elden Palmer and Benjamin Cook esqrs. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 910 acres 25 perches; rateable value, 1,655; and the population in 1881 was 139.

Letters through Aylsham, the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 8.10 a.m.; dispatched from PILLAR LETTER BOX at 4.15 p.m. on week days only

This place is included in the Felmingham United School Board district, formed in 1875; the children attend at Coleby

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Banningham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Banningham with Colby Archeology [English Heritage Explorer]
More on Banningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page