1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Banningham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Banningham with Colby Archeology [English Heritage Explorer]
More on Banningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Banningham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 414

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, June 2002.

BARNINGHAM [sic BANNINGHAM], 2½ miles N.E. of Aylsham, is a parish and straggling village with 79 houses, 330 souls, and 908 acres of land, the property of various owners: W. H. Windham, Esq. is lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Botolph, has a square tower, with one bell, the other two being sold in 1808 towards paying the expense of releading the nave. It was repewed in 1836-7, and the windows contain some fragments of ancient stained glass. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 6s. 10d., is in the gift of S. Bignold, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Jex Blake, who has 17a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £383, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, and a National School was built in 1820. The poor have £4 10s. yearly from land left by the Rev. Saml. Wanley, in 1723, who gave the rectory house and garden for the use of succeeding rectors. The poor have also 30s. a-year from 3 roods, called the Labourers' Pightle.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, June 2002; links updated January 2011.

Note:
         This village is spelt Banningham in both White's 1845 and Kelly's 1883 Directories and on current OS maps. [ECA].

1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Banningham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Banningham with Colby Archeology [English Heritage Explorer]
More on Banningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page