1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Barford archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Barford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Barford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 238.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BARFORD is a village and parish 5 miles north-by-west from Wymondham station and 8 west-by-south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Botolph is a small edifice of flint and rubble in the Perpendicular style, and has chancel, nave and plain square tower, containing 3 bells, with a porch on the south side: the chancel is Early English. The register dates from the year 1700. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value 288, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Whitlock Turner M.A., recor of Colton, and held since 1859 by the Rev. John Bowman Turner M.A.of Caius College, Cambridge. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1836, and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities are about 20 yearly, given to the poor in coals. The Rev. Jeremiah's charity is distributed as follows:—10s. for bread, 10s. for books, 10s. to the minister for preaching commemorative sermon, and 2s. 6d. to the clerk. Mrs. Clarke, who is lady of the manor, and the trustees of the late Ferdinand Ives esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, sandy. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and turnips. The area is 1.652 acres' rateable value, 2,162; the population in 1881 was 315.


POST OFFICE.—Thomas Stubbings, receiver. Letters from Wymondham arrive about 8.20 a.m.; dispatched at 6.0 p.m. Barnham Broom is the nearest money order office & telegprah office at Wymondham

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875. R. Grigson, Upper King street, Norwich, clerk to the board

Board School, erected in 1877 at a cost of about 800 for 56 children; average attendance 43; Miss Fanny Mabel Allan, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Barford archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Barford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page