BARFORD parish, 7 miles west of Norwich, contains 110 scattered houses, 430 inhabitants, and 1,059 acres of land, belonging to various proprietors, but the Rev. Wm. Millett is lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Botolph, is a small structure with a square tower and three bells ; and the living is a rectory valued in the King's book at £4. 8s. 4d. It has been augmented with £200. Queen Anne's bounty, and £20. private benefaction. The Rev. Henry Franklin is patron and incumbent, and has half the rent of the 30a of glebe, the other moiety of which belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £360 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. A rent-charge of 16s. yearly was given out of land at Little Melton, by J. Revans, in 1711, to be distributed in bread among the poor ; and by his will in 1726, he charged his lands at East Tuddenham with the payment of 30s. per annum ; 10s. thereof for a sermon; 10s. to be given in bread, and 10s. to be expended in bibles and prayer books. Saml. Nash, in 1813, left a rent-charge of £20 per annum to be distributed among the poor, chiefly in coals. Ferdinand Ives, Esq., now owns most of the land charged, and pays £15 12s. 6d. of this annuity, and the rest is paid by Mrs. Amy Nash.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Norwich county court
Barford archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Barford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page