1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Fulmodeston (including Barney)
Barney towermill, north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Barney [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Barney

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.238.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BARNEY or (BERNEY) is a parish and village, three quarters of a mile from Thurston [sic. Thursford] station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and 6 miles north-east from Fakenham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district. and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an old Gothic flint building, consisting of chancel, nave, transept and square toweer with 1 bell: in the transept are monuments to the Reeve and Phillippo families. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value about 148 with residence, in the gift of Lord Hastings, who is lay impropriator, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Dashwood Pratt B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge: the vicarage house was rebuilt in 1848; the vicarial rent-charge is commuted at 108 12s. 6d. and the rectorial at 168, and there are 38 acres of vicarial glebe. The rents of two cottages and a small portion of land are carried to the poor rates, and the rent of 4 acres, alloted at the enclosure in 1811, is carried to the highway rates. The Wesleyans have places of worship here. Bricks, tiles and pots are made in the neighbourhood; the quality of the material for this purpose found here is very superior. Lord Hastings is lord of the manor, the tenure of which is by "smockhold;" he also is the principal landowner: there are several other owners. among whom are Mr. John William Butler of Barney Lodge, and Mr. Robert Elgar of the Manor farm. J.S.Scot-Chadd and W.S.Phillippo esqrs. have estates here. The soil is mixed, with a subsoil chiefly of brick-earth and clay. The crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,389 acres; rateable value, 2,192; the population in 1881 was 311.


POST OFFICE.—Robert Thomas Dodman, receiver. Letters through Dereham arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. The nearest money order office is at New Walsingham (Railway Sub-Office)

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874 for the United istrict of Barney & Fulmodeston-cum-Croxton; S. Aberdein, Hindolveston, clerk to the Board

The school is at Fulmodeston

INSURANCE AGENTS:—
         County Fire, J. B. Elgar
         London Assurance, W. H. Butler, Booton, Norwich

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, October 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Fulmodeston (including Barney)
Barney towermill, north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Barney [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page