1891 Census Names Index
North Greenhoe hundred
Walsingham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Fulmodeston (including Barney)
Barney towermill, north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Barney [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Barney

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 708-709

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

BARNEY, or Berney, 6 miles E.N.E. of Fakenham, is a parish and village, with 75 houses, 313 souls, and 1,389a. 3r. 31p. of land, of which 410a. are tithe free, having been held by Binham Priory. It is in three manors, of which the Earl of Leicester is lord of Wighton-Lancaster ; J. Dugmore, Esq., of Great Snoring ; and Lord Hastings holds that of Barney on the part of Barney. The copyholds in the latter are on the tenure called Smockhold, from the wife having an equal claim with the husband, and should he die intestate she has one half of his estate. This singular tenure exists only in two other Norfolk manors, viz., Binham and Shipdham. Among the other principal land owners in Barney are Sir Chas. Chad, Bart., Mr. W. S. Phillippo, and Messrs. John and Wm. Butler. Mr. Phillippo is the author of a pamphlet, "The Game Laws considered and their evils exposed," which ought to be in the hands of every tenant farmer in the county. The amount the farmers lose in their crops, and the demoralization and pauperism produced among the labouring class by these laws are incalculable. Out of 201 commitments recently in an agricultural county, we perceived no less than 143 were game cases,—expensive prosecutions thrown upon the county for the mere protection of an amusement, in which comparatively few participate. Lord Hastings is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £132, in the incumbency of the Rev. S. F. W. C. Homfray. The vicarage house is divided into two cottages. There are 38a. 2r. 5p. of glebe. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower and one bell, but formerly had three ; two of which were sold some years ago to repair the church. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a chapel here. On the hills, east of the village, are traces of entrenchments, near which a curious pavement and several brass coins have been found. Mr. Perowne, of Great Snoring, has a large brick yard in this parish. The rents of two tenements, and 2a. given by an unknown donor, and 4a. allotted at the enclosure of 1811, are carried to the poor rates. Post Office at My. Middleton's : letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 3 p.m.


Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated October, 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
North Greenhoe hundred
Walsingham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Fulmodeston (including Barney)
Barney towermill, north postmill and south postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Barney [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page