Barnham, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Barnham [GENUKI-SFK]
The Church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Barnham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.798.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

BARNHAM (or BARNHAM ST GREGORY) is a parish and scattered village and station on the Bury and Thetford railway. 2½ miles south from Thetford, 9½ north from Bury St. Edmunds and 86½ from London, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Blackbourn, Sudbury archdeaconry and Ely diocese. The church of St. Gregory, which has been restored by the Duke of Grafton, is a small building of flint with stone dressings, consisting of chancel, north aisle and tower in which are 4 bells. The register dates from the year 1684. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Euston and Fakenham Parva; the tithes of the former have been commuted for £400, and the latter for £296 12s. 6d.; it is in the gift of the Duke of Grafton, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Lord Charles Edward Fitz Roy M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. A little north of the village are the ruins of the church of St. Martin, which has been dilapidated for at least a century, but the greater part of the square tower is still remaining, nearly covered with ivy. Here is a windmill for corn, and a large space of ground used for the Duke of Grafton in making tiles and bricks. The Duke of Grafton is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The parish contains 5,184 acres, including a large tract of sandy heath; rateable value £2,753; the population in 1881 was 459


Letters received by foot post from Thetford; collected from PILLAR BOX at 6.55 p.m. on week days & 10.50 a.m.on sundays. Thetford is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Duke of Grafton's School, Henry Wawman, master; Miss Elizabeth Wawman, mistress; to hold 80, average attendance 60

Railway Station, Thomas George Burrell, station master


Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Barnham [GENUKI-SFK]
The Church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page