1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barnham Broom postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Barnham Broom archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Barnham Broom parish council
More on Barnham Broom [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Barnham Broom

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 238-9.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

BARNHAM BROOM is a village and parish (which includes BICKERSTON), 3 miles north-west from Kimberley station and about the same distance north from Hardingham station, and 5 north-west from Wymondham, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archeaconry of Norwich and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is in the Perpendicular style, and has chancel, nave, with screen and square embattled tower containing 5 bells: it was thoroughly repaired and re-seated in 1851, chiefly at the expense of the late Rev. Edward Gurdon: an organ was afterwards presented by Mrs. Anne Wodehouse and the late Mrs. Frederica Gurdon. The register dates from the year 1630. The living is a rectory, with the rectory of Bixton and the vicarage of Kimberley annexed, gross joint yearly value with rent charge £613 with 107 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Arthur Charles Wodehouse Upcher B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge The fuel allotment of 19 acres is let at £14 which is given to the poor in coals. The Earl of Kimberley is the lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is of a mixed nature; the subsoil, brick-earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay The area is 1,776 acres; rateable value, £3,233; the population in 1881 was 442.

BICKERSTON or BIXTON is a decayed parish, now considered a part of Barnham Broom.

________________

POST& MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. - David Foyster, postmaster. Letters are received through Wymondham by foot post; arrive at 8 a.m. & dispatched at 6 p.m.; sundays, dispatched at 10 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Wymondham

Relieving Officer, Hutchinson Murrell

A National school was erected here in 1841, to hold 100, average attendance 71; Miss A. M. Ashmore, mistress

CARRIERS TO NORWICH.- Mrs. Catherine Garner, wed. & sat.; John Andrews, wed. & sat.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; last amended March, 2001; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barnham Broom postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Barnham Broom archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Barnham Broom parish council
More on Barnham Broom [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page