Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Will of John Barber 1854 [Linda Steward]
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Barningham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Barningham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Barningham Parva [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Barningham Norwood and Barningham Town

Norfolk - Little Barningham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 239.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

LITTLE BARNINGHAM is a parish and village 7 miles north-west from Aylsham, 6 south-south-east from Holt, and 3 from Corpusty station, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew in the Early English style, is a small old building, consisting of chanel and nave, with square tower and 1 bell: the chancel was thoroughly restored in 1878-9: the head tracery of the windows has been re-opened and re-filled with tinted glass, and the ruined vestry rebuilt on a larger scale. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at 260, in the gift of the Earl of Orford, and held since 1876 by the Rev. George Macness Johnson, formery of the diocese of Newfoundland, who resides at Aldborough, in this county. The United Methodist Free Church have a chapel here. The Earl of Orford, who is lord of the manor, J. T. Mott esq. and Mrs. Page are chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, chiefly sand. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,224 acres' rateab;e value, 1,453; the population in 1881 was 103.


Letters through Norwich, by messenger, from Hanworth, arrive about 11.30 a.m. & return at 1.30 p.m.; no post on sundays. Holt is the mearest money order & telegraph office

This parish is under the Barningham United District School Board: the school house is in Matlaske parish

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Will of John Barber 1854 [Linda Steward]
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Barningham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Barningham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Barningham Parva [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Barningham Norwood and Barningham Town