1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on North Barningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
and see Barningham Town and Little Barningham

Norfolk - Barningham Norwood

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.239.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BARNINGHAM NORWOOD is a parish about 5 miles east-by-south from Holt station, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is an old building in the Early English style, as chancel, nave, north aisle, porch and square western tower containing 1 bell: in the chancel and three handsome monuments to Sir Austin Palgrave knt. and his family. The register dates from the year 1740. The living is a rectory, yearly value £156; it is in the gift of the trustees of the late W. H. Windham esq. who are lords of the manor and owners of nearly the whole parish, and held since 1872 by the Rev. William Henry Foy, of St. Bees. The soil is chiefly light; subsoil gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 883 acres, rateable value, £1,419; the population in 1881 was 31.

_________

Letters through Norwich, by messenger from Hanworth, arrive about 10 a.m. PILLAR LETTER BOX cleared at 2.15 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Hanworth & Holt.

The parish is under the Gresham United District School Board: the school house is in Gresham parish

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links [dated December, 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on North Barningham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
and see Barningham Town and Little Barningham