1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Barningham Town [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
and see Barningham Norwood and Little Barningham

Norfolk - Barningham Town

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 239.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BARNINGHAM TOWN (or BARNINGHAM WINTER) is a parish about 4½ miles east-south-east from Holt station, 7 south-south-west from Cromer, and 8 north-north-west from Aylsham, in the northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter [sic. St. Mary] stands in the park: it is in Mixed style, and consists of the chancel, which was restored a few years since: the ruined porch and tower are covered with ivy. The register dates from the year 1702. The living is a rectory, yearly value £136, with residence and 36 acres of glebe, realising about £27 in the gift of John Thomas Mott esq and held since 1875 by the Rev. Edward James Harper M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. The Hall, the property of John Thomas Mott esq. D.L. and at present occupied by Lord Westbury, is a spacious mansion in the Tudor style, and has an extensive park, with fine woods and plantation extending into Matlaske parish: the house was enlarged, and the south or garden front altered, in 1807, under the direction of Mr. Humphrey Repton, architect, but the west or entrance front, a fine example of the time of James I. in which the double dormer is a peculiar feature, remains in its original state: the drawing room is a good specimen of the old Elizabethan style, and a happy taste has been displayed in its embellishments. In the reign of Edward III. the lordship of the parish was held by the Winters, hence the name of Barningham Winter: in the latter part of the reign of Elizabeth it was possessed by the Pastons, and the older house, which stood on the lower site, being pulled down, Sir Edward Paston, fifth in descent of the above Sir Edward Paston, sold the property to William Russell, a London merchant, from whom it passed into the hands of Thomas Lane esq. and he, in 1775, sold it to Thomas Vertue Mott esq. grandfather of the present owner. J. T. Mott esq. J.P., D.L. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 833 acres; rateable value, £1,227; and the population in 1881 was 104.

Letters through Norwich, viâ Hanworth. except for those for the Rectory, which are through East Dereham, via Holt. Holt is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

This parish belongs to the Barningham United District School Board. J. B. Newstead, Plumstead, clerk & attendance officer. The school is in Matlaske parish

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, January 2005, with minor corrections April, 2008; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Barningham Town [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
and see Barningham Norwood and Little Barningham