BARTON BENDISH, a scattered village, 4 miles N. of Stoke Ferry, contains in its parish the hamlet and enclosed fens of Eastmore, near the great foss and rampart called the Devil's ditch. The parish includes 89 houses, 495 souls, and 3,989 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir Hanson Berney, the lord of the manor. Barton had formerly three CHURCHES, but that dedicated to All Saints has long been dilapidated, and its rectory consolidated with that of St. Mary, a small edifice, the tower of which fell down in the reign of Queen Anne. The united rectories are valued in the King's book at £11, and in 1831 at £316. Sir H. Berney is patron, and the Rev. Geo. Day, M.A., incumbent. St. Andrew's Church is a large thatched fabric, with a square tower and three bells. The Chancel has recently been refitted with oak seats, and a beautiful stained glass window added on the north side of the church. The chancel has a piscina and curious ornamental niche. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £14, and in 1831 at £163, is in the gift of the Crown, and enjoyed by the Rev. Hy. Howes, M.A. In 1777 the tithes were commuted for two allotments, viz335a. to St. Andrew's, and 330a. to the consolidated rectories of St. Mary and All Saints. Eastmore hamlet had formerly a chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Poor's Allotment, 40a., was awarded at the enclosure: the herbage is let for £30. They have also 3a. left by an unknown donor. In 1779 the Rev. R. Jones left the dividends of £250, three per cent consols, for schooling poor children, for which 12 scholars are taught free. Dr. Blair left a sum of money which produces about £10 a year, to be given to young married women of unimpeached character. Letters arrive at Jno. Bailey's, at 10 a.m. and are despatched at 3.30 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Barton Bendish smockmill and Lovell's postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Barton Bendish archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Barton Bendish [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page