Local village web-site
More on Barton Mills {GENUKI-SFK}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Barton Mills

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.800.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BARTON MILLS is a parish and village in the Western division of the county, Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and county court district, rural deanery of Fordham, archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Ely: the village is pleasantly situated about 1 miles south-east from Mildenhall, 8 miles north-east from Newmarket, 4 south-east from Kennet station on the Cambridge, Newmarket & Bury branch of the Great Eastern railway, on the high road from Norwich to London: the river Lark skirts the parish on the north, separating it from Mildenhall. The church of St. Mary, an old stone building, in the Decorated style, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, ancient south porch and square embattled tower containing 3 bells: the east window is stained, in memory of Philip Fuller, who died in 1866, and a small one on the south side, as a memorial of Jane Fuller, who died in 1867; other windows contain fragments of richly stained glass: in the chancel are a handsome double piscina and sedilia: within the chancel rails the floor is paved with encaustic tiles, the other parts being of brick: here are monuments to William Glascock, dated 1718; Thomas Thorseby, 1790, and Charles Chichester, 1858, formerly rector of this parish: there is also a brass in memory of Sarah Fuller, who died in 1869, and an organ chamber, erected by her sister, Miss Susanna Fuller, in 1870: in the nave I a fine carved oak pulpit, a curiously carved old octagonal stone font, and an old oak iron-bound chest: in the aisles are pews, which are about to be removed and replaced by open seats, and in the nave ancient open seats, the ends having curiously carved devices and figures: under the tower is a monument to the Gataker family. The register dates from the year 1663. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £400, with a handsome residence. in the gift of the lord Chancellor, and held since 1863 by the Rev. William Buckland Lott M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford, rural dean of Fordham. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1844. There are some small charities, left by the Revs. James Advise and Thomas Malabar, consisting of small portions of land, the proceeds of which are distributed by the rector and churchwardens to the poor of the parish on St. Stephen's Day, Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. There are corn mills, worked by steam and water; also several villa residences here. The Marquess of Bristol and the rector, are the principal landowners. The soil is various, light and sandy on the hills; the subsoil is chalky. The crops are of the usual kind — wheat, barley, turnips and mangold-wurtzel.. The area is 1,800 acres; rateable value, £2,667; the population in 1881 was 468.

______

POST OFFICE.— William Redgrave, receiver. Letters arrive from Soham, viâ Mildenhall, at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.35 p.m.; sundays, 1.5 p.m. Mildenhall is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National & Sunday school, built in 1845 for 101 children, average attendance, 54; John Palmer, master

CARRIERS pass through to Bury St. Edmunds & Newmarket

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, December, 2000; links updated September 2014.

Local village web-site
More on Barton Mills {GENUKI-SFK}
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page