BARTON TURF is a parish and village 4 miles from Wroxham station on the East Norfolk railway, 7 south-east from North Walsham, and 11 north-east from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh manor [sic. union], North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, Happing division, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The navigable river Ant opens out into an expansive sheet of water, or "broad," on the borders of the parish. The church of St. Michael is a fine building of flint and stone, having a chancel, nave, and lofty square tower with 3 bells, and north porch. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £171 with 34 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and now vacant. Here are 30 acres of allotment land, from whcih the poor cut fuel. Sir J. H. Preston bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The Corporation of Norwich have a small estate or manor, called Berry Hall. The soil is mixed, subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,599 acres, nearly 900 of which are wood and water; rateable value, £2,261; the population in 1881 was 374.
Letters are received from Norwich by mail car, viā Neatishead. The nearest monery order office is at Neatishead
A schoolhousewas erected in 1855 by Sir J. H. Ptreston bart. & the Misses Preston, who are also its supporters; Miss Bowen, mistress
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated February 2011.
1891 Census Names Index (& other Census pages)
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barton Turf Wood postmill and Turf Fen drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Barton Turf archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Barton Turf Local history
More on BartonTurf [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on BartonTurf [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page