1891 Census Names Index
BARWICK as a family name
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barwick archeology [Norfolk Herfitage Explorer]
More on Barwick [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Barwick-in-the-Brake

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 241.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BARWICK-IN-THE-BRAKE is a parish 5 miles west-south-west from Burnham Market, and 2 east from Docking station on the West Norfolk Junction railway, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Heacham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocesse of Norwich. The church formerly stood in the grounds of Barwick House, and the foundations may still be traced. The parishioners attend Stanhoe church. The living is a discharged vicarage, united with the rectory of Stanhoe, yearly value 38, arising partly from a modus on land and partly from Queen Anne's Bounty, in the gift of Mrs. Seymour and held since 1861 by the Rev. Augustus William Noel M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Stanhoe. Barwick House is the seat of Mrs. Seymour. The principal landowners are Mrs. Seymour and the trustees of the late John Savory esq. The soil is of a good mixed character; subsoil chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, varley roots and seeds. The area is 1,278 acres; rateable value, 1,362; and the population in 1881 was 56. ——Letters through Lynn. Docking is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, November 2008; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
BARWICK as a family name
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barwick archeology [Norfolk Herfitage Explorer]
More on Barwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page