1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Bawburgh Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Milestone on the B1108 [Milestones Web]
Bawburgh archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bawburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Bawburgh [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Bawburgh

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 241.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BAWBURGH is a small parish and village, situated on the river Yare, 4 miles west from Hethersett station and 5 west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, county court district of Norwich, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Walstan is a small old stone building chiefly in the Perpendicular style; it has a chancel and nave (the roof of the nave dates from the reign of King Edward IV.), round Norman tower containing 1 bell, and south porch: it contains some ancient brasses, one bearing date 1483: the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the porch by the vicar in 1879. The register dates from the year 1555. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £260, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1860 by the Rev. Hicks Thomas Deacle M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in the village. To the north of the church, on the Rectory farm, is St. Walstan's well, supposed to possess extraordinary healing virtues: some hundreds of persons used to visit it in the course of the year for the cure of scrofulous diseases. Lord Stafford, who is lord of the manor, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and C. Unthank, esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is very various, but mostly light, subsoil, the same. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,440 acres; rteable value, £2,212; and the population in 1881 was 440.

Parish Clerk, John Osborn.

_______

Letters through Norwich, the nearest money order & telegraph office. WALL BOX in the village cleared at 5.15 p.m.
Collector of Rates & Taxes, David William Child
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; David William Child, clerk to the Board
A Board school was built in 1876 for 76 children (average attendance 65), at a cost of £1,000; Miss Lucy Varley mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, September 2004; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Bawburgh Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Milestone on the B1108 [Milestones Web]
Bawburgh archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bawburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Bawburgh [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page