Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bawdeswell smock mill [Jonathan Neville]
Bawdeswell Church Architecture [Simon Knott]
Bawdeswell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bawdeswell Parish Council
More on Bawdeswell [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Bawdeswell

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 241-242.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BAWDESWELL is a village and parish 4 miles from Foulsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 7 north from East Dereham, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road from Aylsham to Lynn. The church of All Saints is a small edifice of flint, rebuilt in 1845, having no pretensions to architectural style: it comprises chancel, nave and aisles. The registr dates fromn the year 1557. The living is a rectory, yearly value 330 14s. 4d. with residence and one acre of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe J.P. and held since 1851 by the Rev. Ferdinand Alfred Pysent. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. A small charity is distributed in bread twice a year; and two charities, amounting to 25 yearly, are distributed in coals. Bawdeswell Hall, the seat of Clarke Hallett Lloyd Stoughton esq. J.P. is a red brick mansion, in the Elizabethan style, with a eautifull lan in front. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe J.P. of Bylaugh Park, who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Stoughton and the Earl of Leicester are the principal landowners. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The area is 1,196 acres; rateable value, 2,280; and the population in 1881 was 447.

POST OFFICE—Mrs. Sarah Catton, receiver. Letters arrive from East Dereham at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Foulsham and Elmham, the latter being the nore convenient of the two.

A school, opened here in 1875, was erected at the sole expense of the Rev. Henery Evans Lombe, Bylaugh Park; it is supported by an endowment consisting of about 16 acres of land & a cottage in the parish of Foxley & by a school rate, & is called the Bawdeswell, Bylaugh & Foxley school: it is a handsome red brick building, with the Rev. H. E. Lombe's crest in the centre & the motto "Propositi tenax"; Charles Thomas More, master; Miss Isabella Cross, infants' mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bawdeswell smock mill [Jonathan Neville]
Bawdeswell Church Architecture [Simon Knott]
Bawdeswell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bawdeswell Parish Council
More on Bawdeswell [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]