Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Eynsford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bawdeswell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Bawdeswell smock mill [Jonathan Neville]
Bawdeswell Church Architecture [Simon Knott]
Bawdeswell Parish Council
More on Bawdeswell [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Bawdeswell

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 434

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February, 2001]

BAWDESWELL, a neat and healthful village, with a good inn, on the Norwich and Fakenham road, 4 miles W. by S. of Reepham, has in its parish, 148 houses, 594 souls, and 1,175a. 35p. of land, exclusive of 24a. 2r. 33p. of roads. Charles B. Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, and the chief land owners are the Earl of Leicester, Robert Leeds, Esq., and Miss Lloyd, of the Hall, an ancient residence, built in 1683. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, had the nave destroyed by the fall of the steeple, in 1739 ; it was rebuilt by subscriptions, in 1844. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £7, and in 1844, at £330, is in the gift of Charles B. Lombe, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Ferdinand Alfred Pynsent. The Free School was founded in 1728, for 12 poor boys of this parish, and 8 of Foxley, by John Leeds, Esq., who endowed it with 16 a. 1r. 4p. of land, now let for £20 19s. a year. It is now conducted on the National System, and besides the endowment, is partly supported by subscriptions from the resident gentry, and is attended by about 70 children. The school is held in a building erected in 1781, as a workhouse. At the enclosure in 1808, the poor had an allotment of 34a. to cut fuel from, and 2a. as a gravel pit. The poor have also 20s. a year, left by William Dewing, in 1719. The Methodists have a chapel here. Post Office at A. W. Cannell's ; letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 3.30 p.m.


Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February 2001; links updated Jamuary 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Eynsford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bawdeswell smock mill [Jonathan Neville]
Bawdeswell Church Architecture [Simon Knott]
Bawdeswell Parish Council
More on Bawdeswell [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]