BAYFIELD is a small parish, 2½ miles N.W. of Holt, united with Glandford for the support of the poor, and includes only 18 souls, 810 acres of land, the property of Mrs. L. C. Best, who resides at Bayfield Hall, which has a beautiful park in the vale of the river Glaven. The Church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has long been ruinous. It is a sinecure rectory, valued in the King's book at £4, and in 1831, at £40, in the gift of Mrs. Best, and enjoyed by the Rev. Sheldon Jodrell. The Lodge Farm is occupied by Mr. James Cooke.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated January 2011.
1891Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Letheringsett with Glandford (& Bayfield) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Our Daily Bread (Introduction to the churches of Bale, Bayfield, Field Dalling, Glandford, Holt and Saxlingham [Simon Knott]
More on Bayfield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page