1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Beechamwell Church {Jackie Simpson]
Beechamwell postmill and Rainoll's postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Beechamwell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beechamwell [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Beechamwell

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 243.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BEECHAMWELL is a parish and village 5 miles south-west from Swaffham station, 5 south from Narborough station and 110½ from London, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The name of this parish is variously spelt in old documents, Bilchamwell, Bychamwell and Beechamwell. The churches of All Saints and St. John are picturesque ruins. The church of St. Mary is a small building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave with a thatched roof, south aisle and ancient round tower (supposed to date before the Norman conquest) with 2 bells; the chalice and paten are ancient, the date on the former being 1569: there are two brasses in the chancel, of two rectors in the fifteenth century. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, with that of Beechamwell St.John, Beechamwell All Saints and Shingham annexed, yearly value £504, with 119 acres of glebe and house, held since 1878 by the Rev. George Roberts B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The livings were united by Order in Council, December 30th 1878 and are to be in future in the alternate presentation of the several patrons, the Lord Chancellor and Joshua Fielden esq. the latter gentleman being entitled to the next presentation to the united benefice. The Wesleyans have a mission room here. There are a few charities, distributed annually among the poor. John Motteux esq. left in 1791 £100 £3 per Cents, the interest to be extended to the rector and churchwardens on the first Sunday in February every year. £100 the purchase money of 2 acres of land, formerly belonging to the poor has been invested by the Charity Commissioners in £3 per Cent. Consols for the benefit of the poor. In this parish, on the western side, is a remarkable earthwork, called the Devil's Dyke, extending from Narborough to Caldecot, a distance of about 9 miles. Roman coins, pottery and human remains have been discovered on the glebe land. Beechamwell Hall, the property of J. Fielden esq. now in the occupation of lord de Clifford and H. B. Heygate esq. is a plain building, enlarged by John Motteux esq. at the end of the last century. J. Fielden esq. is lord of the manor and owns all the land in the parish. The soil is light and sandy, and the subsoil is chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 3,723 acres; rateable value, £2,815; and the population in 1881 was 313.

_____

POST OFFICE.— William Smith, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Swaffham arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. Swaffham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

National school, built in 1835, & enlarged to contain 79 children in 1875, at a cost of £231, is supported by voluntary contributions; Miss Julia Brooke, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated December 2013.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Beechamwell Church {Jackie Simpson]
Beechamwell postmill and Rainoll's postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Beechamwell Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beechamwell [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page