Beeston-next-Mileham, Norfolk - Kelpy's 1883 Directory 1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Beeston-next-Mileham post mill [Jonathan Neville]
With Giants around Swaffham (Introduction to the churches of Beeston-next-Mileham, Little Dunham, Necton and Wellingham) [Simon Knott]
Beeston with Bittering Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beeston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Beeston-next-Mileham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.243-244.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BEESTON (or BEESTON-NEXT-MILEHAM is a large and pleasant village, situated on high ground, 2 miles north-east from Fransham station on the Lynn branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 7 west from East Dereham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, it is purely agricultural with houses very scattered. For civil purposes it is united with BITTERING PARVA, which is ecclesiastically a separate parish. The church of St. Mary is a handsome flitn building with stone dressings in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and aisles, and tower and spire: it contains a beautifully carved screen: the tower was struck by lighting and burnt down in May, 1872, and rebuilt in 1873. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value 550, settled in 1841 in lieu of tithes, and 25 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. John Swaffield Orion T.A.K.C.L. The rectory-house, formerly surrounded ny a moat, which has been filled in on one side, was burnt down in the reign of King James and rebuilt on the same site. Here is a Wesleyan Reform chapel. The charities are:—Church land, 8 acres 15 perches, let for 12; the Rector's dole of 1; the almshouse, 4 yearly; Huke's charity, 5 for the poor and to the rector 1 for preaching a Good Friday sermon; Halcott's charity, 2 8s. for bread to be distributed every Sunday; Allee's charity, 1 12s. given away in bread; Gooch's charity (1634), 4 8s. (but varies) given tot he poor in money; and there is a fuel allotment, 20 acres, rented at 45. The trustees of the late Rev. C. Barmwell are lords of the manor. William Thomas Collison esq. of Bilney Hall, Robert Harvey Humfrey-Mason of Necton Hall, Miss Hoste, the trustee of the late C. Wallis esq. and Matthew Stedman esq. of Aylesthorpe, are the principal landowners The soil is light loam and clay; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,073 acres; rateable value, 3,930; and the population in 1881 was 513.

POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE.—John Mason, receiver. Letters arrive through Swaffham at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 10.15 a.m. Litcham is the nearest money order, telegraphic office & savings bank

A school board of five members was formed in 1875 for Beeston & Little Bittering; J. Lovett, Little Fransham, clerk to the board

Board School was built in 1979 at a cost of 850, for 96 children, average attendance, 72; Miss Ada Allen, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, October 2006; links updated June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Beeston-next-Mileham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
With Giants around Swaffham (Introduction to the churches of Beeston-next-Mileham, Little Dunham, Necton and Wellingham) [Simon Knott]
Beeston with Bittering Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beeston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page