BEESTON REGIS is a parish about 3 miles west-north-west from, Cromer and 12 from North Walsham, in the northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The church of All Saints is a buildng of flint with some stone dressings, chiefly in the Decorated English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, with a square embattled tower and 1 bell: there are some remains of a screen behind the Communion table: the roof is very handsome: the church was thoroughly restored in 1867, re-seated and embellished, and a new pulpit, reading desk and font added, by Thomas Wyndham Cromer esq. J.P. of Beeston Hall. The register dates from the year 1743. The living is rectory, in the gift of the Duchy of Lancaster and held since 1867 by the Rev. William Bosworth. The tithes have been commuted to a rent-charge of £135, in addition to which the glebe lets for about £24 a year: this glebe land is mostly situated in the adjoining parish of Runton, The rectory house was formerly in Runton, but that has been sold, and in 1869 amother was erected in Beeston, on a site near the church. The poor have £13 from Hooke's charity for fuel. In a picturesque dale are the remains of Beeston Priory, founded in the reign of King John, by Lady Isabella Cressey, for the order of Augustine Canons, and dedicated to St. Mary: the west end of the church, with a small tower and part of the chapter-house, are all that remain. Beeston Hall is the seat of Thomas Wyndham Cremer esq. B.A., J.P. who is lord of the manor of Owby and Thirne. Mrs J. Bond-Cabbell is lady of the manor of Beeston. T. Cremer esq. and Samuel Hoare esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is principally sand and heath. The crops are the usual cereals. The area is 822 acres; rateable value, £740 5s.; and the population in 1881 was 193.
_____Letters through Norwich. Lower Sheringham is the nearest money order office, & Cromer the telegraph office.
The school (for infants of Beeston & Sheringham) was built in 1875 for 80 children; average attendance 60; Miss Stolworthy,mistress.
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Beeston postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Beeston Regis Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beeston Regis [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page