BEESTON ST. ANDREW is a village and parish, 3½ miles north-east from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, in Taverham hundred. and St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. There is no church; a thorn bush is planted where th foundations remain, and service used to be held on the spot once a year. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £190, in the gift of and held since 1749 by the Rev. Henry Banfather B.D. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Sprowston. Sir Thomas Barrett Lennard bart. is lord of the manor. The chief part of the land belongs to F. Micklethwait esq. and Orlando Barnes esq. The soil is light and mixed; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, baley and turnips. The area is 623 acres; rateable value, £1,138; and the population in 1881 was 35.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; spellinbg corrections, and links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Beeston St Andrew archeology ]Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on BeestonSt.Andrew [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page