1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ashmanhaugh (& Beeston St. Lawrence) archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beeston St. Lawrence [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Beeston St. Lawrence

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 244.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

BEESTON ST. LAWRENCE is a parish 3 miles form Wroxham station on the East Norfolk railway 5 south-east from North Walsham and 10 north-east from Norwich, in the northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Lawrence is a small old building of flint and stone, comprising chancel, nave, with a round tower and 1 bell, and south porch: it contains many handsome monuments of the Preston family, and the Communion plate belonging to it is remarkably handsome. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Ashmanhaugh annexed, joint yearly value £300, with house at Ashmanhaugh, in the gift of Sir Jacob Henry Preston, bart. and held since 1877 by the Rev. Thomas Edward Hankinson Cox M.A. of Corpus Christ College, Cambridge. Beeston Hall, the seat of Sir Jacob Henry Preston, bart. M.A., D.L., J.P. is in the Gothic style, in an extensive park, which possesses all the natural advantages of wood and water: it has long been the residence of the ancient family of Preston, who originally came from a village of that name in the county of Suffolk: the family distinguished themselves as royalists in the civil war, and Jacob Preston esq. of Beeston, was one of the four gentlemen appointed to wait upon the unfortunate Charles I during his imprisonment, and was the favoured servant of his illustrious master, who, as a last tribute of affection, presented him, when upon the scaffold, with an emerald ring, which is still preserved with great veneration at the Hall. Sir J. H. Preston bart. and J. S. Postle esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 519 acres; rateable value, £836; and the population in 1881 was 46.


Letters through Norwich viâ Neatishead. The latter is the nearest money order office.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, October 2006; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ashmanhaugh (& Beeston St. Lawrence) archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beeston St. Lawrence [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page