BEETLEY is a parish, about 3 miles north-by-west from East Dereham and 3 south-west from North Elmham station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a small plain building of flint, with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, with massive square tower, containing a peal of 5 bells; the nave has been partially restored, and the chancel entirely so; there is a piscina of white stone, beautifully carved. The register dates from the year 1547. The living is a rectory. annexed to that of East Bilney, joint yearly value £600, with 26 acres of glebe, in the gift of Albert Collison esq. and held since 1882 by the Rev. Henry Collison M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, who resides at East Bilney. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel. The decayed parish of Bittering Magna was divided many years ago between this parish and Gressenhall. The fuel allotment is 20 acres, on which the poor turn asses and geese and cut turf. £2 3s 4d. yearly from an unknown donor is distributed in bread 20 loaves every month. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe of Bylaugh Park, who is lord of the manor, and Earl Sondes, of Elmham Hall, and James Coker are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed, portions inclining to heavy; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,770 acres; rateable value, £27,663; and the population in 1881 was 363.
Letters through East Dereham, viâ North Elmham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
1901 Census [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Beetley postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Methodist chapel [Simon Knott]
Beetley archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Beetley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page