[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
Note: Not to be confused wth Bylaugh - both village names are pronounced locally Beela.
BELAUGH is a parish and compact village, 8½ miles north-east from Norwich and 1 mile west from Wroxham station, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union, and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, occupying an elavated position on the summit and sides of an acclivity, rising from the left bank of the river Bure. The Church of St. Peter is on the summit of the hill: it is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch and square tower containing 2 bells, surmounted by four pinnacles, and has a handsome screen and ancient font. The register dates from the year 1500 and is in good preservation. The living is a rectory, the tithes have been commuted for £226 6s. yearly, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1861 by the Rev. George Peter Bucks. The Rectory house was repaired and enlarged in 1883. The Trafford family are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 854 acres; rateable value, £1,301; the population in 1881 was 139.
Letters received from Norwich. viā Hoveton. The nearest money order & telegraph offce is at Wroxham
National School, Miss Ellen Thorley, mistress
1891 Census index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Belaugh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Belaugh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page