1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sustead (& Bessingham) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bessingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Bessingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 245.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

BESSINGHAM (or BASSINGHAM) is a parish 8 miles north from Aylsham, 6 south-west from Cromer, 6 from Gunton railway station, 6 east-south-east from Holt and 9 from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The Church of St. Andrew [St. Mary see Note below] having for many years been in a very dilapidated condition, was restored in 1869: it is a structure of stone, in the Perpendicular style. and consists of chancel, nave and round tower with 2 bells: there is a very old silver communion cup, upon which is engraved the date 1567. The register dates from the year 1536. The living is a discharged rectory, tithes commuted for a rent charge of 130 yearly, with 25 acres of glebe, let for 500 yearly, in the gift of and held since 1872 by the Rev. Shillington Armstrong B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who is also rector of and resides at Sustead. Daniel Spurrell esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is various; but chiefly brick earth and marl; the surface is undulating and picturesque, being very much wooded. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 514 acres, of which 330 are arable and the rest pasture; rateable value, 1,045 10s.; the population in 1881 was 136.


Letters through Norwich. The nearest money order offices are at Cromer and Aldborough & telegraph office at Handworth [sic. Hanworth]

This place is included in the Gresham United School Board formed in 1873; the children attend the Board school at Gresham

Note: The dedication of the church is recorded as St. Andrew in Kelly's directories from 1883 to 1902; but as St. Mary in White's 1845 to 1883, and in Kelly's 1937.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; spelling corections and links updated January 2011.

1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sustead (& Bessingham) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Bessingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page